18 February 2010

Pickled Rosemary Carrots


Hot Damn  - it's the can jam... carrots edition

Pickled Rosemary Carrots
3 c (720ml) H20
3 c (720ml) vinegar
1/4 c (60ml) sugar
1/4 c (60ml) pickling salt
2 T (30ml) mixed peppercorn
6 hot chili peppers (red)
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
4 lbs (1.8 kg) carrots, peeled, cut into sticks, 4" long x 1/2" wide (10c x 1.2c)

six 3" sprigs fresh rosemary

Yield: 6 pints


Prepare preserving jars (Note: wash, wash, wash w/soap, dry, process 15 minutes in hot water and keep warm until ready to use). Combine H20, vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns in a pot. Bring to boil, reduce to medium and simmer 5 minutes. Working 1 jar at a time, place 1 clove garlic, 1 chili pepper in each hot, sterilized jar. Pack carrot sticks tightly in jar standing upright. Slide sprig of rosemary into jar. Pour boiling solution into jars leaving 1/4" head space. Release air bubbles. Seal, repeat with the rest of the jars. Process 15 minutes.

Well Preserved
Mary Anne Dragan
p. 129

From the kitchen counter:
I made only half a recipe. That seemed like plenty since although I like the pickling liquid, I'm not sure how well I'll like it with carrots - I'm kinda on and off with carrots. Also, peeling and slicing 4 pounds of carrots - a bit o' overkill for me. 

Had to go outside with a flashlight (TY MotH) to cut the rosemary, but it's still in great shape - some little bit of damage from the 13 days of freezing, but just a few brown tips (cut off). No comments about 13 days of freezing - it's the gulf frigging coast - we shouldn't have 13 days of freezing even in January. Bugger.
Cans with pink lids - really too summer-y, but I'll rationalize it by the card-company created "holiday."
It's easier to put the rosemary in with the carrots and pepper - they are all vertical in my book so... 
Used two cloves of garlic for each jar - me likey garlic. 
How frigging long does it take to boil water - honestly - I should have timed it for my own morbid curiosity. 
I do like my new H2O canner - ordered online - saved $ --nice.
An idea just crossed my mind, by the time we finish the can jam, my pantry will be well stocked. Nifty.
Processing 15 minutes to sterilize = lots of standing around and waiting. 
Then more waiting - jeez.

Need mixed peppercorns. Time to spend some $.

No notes for how long to wait to try these, so I'm giving it a week to see what's up. Will report back. 


So what will next month bring.... we'll see. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.