28 April 2010

Upside-Down Butterscotch Apple Sour Cream Cake

First, never let a 17 year-old boy pick out apples for you .. enough said.

Wonderful and pretty easy as things go Upside-Down Butterscotch Apple Sour Cream Cake This cake is a favorite of anyone I know who has ever had it. 
I use Granny Smiths in this recipe. It calls for Golden Delicious - but I'm not a fan of apples with no soul. Yes, both Red and Golden Delicious - no. soul.  
I may have to kill the grandkid next door who is on a pogo stick right outside my kitchen window which is reluctantly open. 
Everyone has one of those birthdays - I had one at about 9 or so - power was out for three days including my bday. That was the first, and only time, I had an ice cream cake for my birthday. This year - for the boy's 17 we are without AC. ugh. The first rain in forever and it's humid as hell and we have no AC. Called the repair guys Friday (why do thing seem to always break down on Friday) and of course (of course!!) they can't get here until Monday. Groan.  Without AC, I may be miserable, but my hair finally is looking cute. 
You have to peel a few apples for this, but only three really. No matter - I do love my Victorinox tomato knife for any peeling jobs. It's just friggin amazing and sharp sharp sharp. I just remember that human flesh and tomatoes are very similar and try not to slice into myself - was lucky this time. whew. 
This recipe is very good and not very sweet - which is nice, if you ask me. I also like the fact that this recipe gives me a way to eat apples. Apparently I have become allergic to raw apples, but I can eat cooked ones. According to the allergist, a protein breaks down when the apples are cooked and this is why I can eat cooked apples - thankfully - because I do love me some apples - but only ones with souls. 
I do not arrange apples in little concentric circles for this - it's to be eaten by a 17 year old who would not give a rat's ass. That said, this has been his b-day cake for 13, 14, 15, and 17. Pretty impressive pick for a dumb boy.*
For the batter, you just have to play connect the glops. It works though. Offset spatula not required, but it really really helps. 
29 minutes and 30 seconds - perfect and the kitchen smells like what I expect heaven to smell like. sigh. 
Let it rest and then grip it and flip it - I just repeat Julia's mantra - have the courage of your conviction - damn it if it didn't work. 
Music to bake by: Bach, Brandenburg Concerto; Wallflowers, Bringing Down the Horse; Elvis Costello, Brutal Youth.


* He's not dumb, but he is a boy, so some degree of dumbness is implied. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.