17 June 2010

Everything Austen II

Just signed up for Everything Austen II over at Stephanie's Written World. For the next six months we will be reading / watching / listening to something from or inspired by Miss Austen. Emma will certainly not be on my list for these reasons and these.  That said, I do need to come up with a list of six Austen things to read/watch, etc. That's the hard part. I read the books every year to eighteen months so some of the original Austen will work themselves into Everything Austen II without a doubt. I have not read much Austen-inspired fiction though, so I guess I will take this opportunity to give that a spin. I did greatly enjoy the one I've read so far - Willoughby's Return by Jane Odiwe Ah, but which ones - that's hard for me. I rather think I'm not the type for the super romance-novel type of sequel or certainly no mash up with zombies or giant squid (that's just silly, by the way), would prefer something a bit fun with all of Miss Austen's wit and style. Guess I'm asking for the impossible, but we'll see. 


So here is my beginning list:
1:  Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict  by Laurie Viera Rigler
2: Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler 
Both of these have always sounded intriging. I have Confessions already purchased on my "to be read" list, so I guess it's time I did.
3: The Other Mr. Darcy by Monica Fairview
It seems to be an interesting concept - Caroline Bingley being something other than a slug. 
4: Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo.
Having spent some time in higher education doing research, it's a nasty place. Plus I love the cover art.


Of Miss Austen's novels, I'm going for:
5: Mansfield Park - much maligned at times, but I still enjoy it.  
6: Northanger Abbey  - Henry Tilney - need I say more?


These are two of Miss Austen's works I usually don't go for first. My most often first choice is Persuasion, followed closely by Pride and Predjudice. Emma - I have to make myself read and when I do I complain as noted above.
Let the fun begin. Thanks Stephanie for the great idea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.