13 December 2011

What I'm learning...

About writing is that you don't have to be great at everything to get published. I've been reading quite a few varied and different types of stories and I think I must just be a born editor. I find all kinds of little things that just make me nuts. And I have to stop and go back
and reread things - it's making me nuts because it does take some of the fun out of reading. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I now read more on by (beloved) Kindle than a printed book. Books can be produced faster by going to an electronic format, so perhaps more slips by. Or maybe people need better editors. Or maybe I'm too picky and need to just relax and go with a story. I just can't seem to do it.
Case in point, use of groan worthy phrases such as, "this was a look he could die in." All together now - groan. Or an element in the story that never gets explained such as, a letter that someone steals but no reference is ever made of it again - why not - did you just forget while writing? That's what I'm thinking has happened.
I must just be too picky, or perhaps, I should change careers and become an editor. 


Caveat - this does not refer to any books I've written about on this blog (at the present time). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.