10 January 2011

Vanilla Taffy

Vanilla Taffy Ingredients
Some how cooking for Christmas and New Year's passed me by, but now it seems, I'm finally in the mood to get off my backside and get in the kitchen. I've been checking the humidity for a couple of reasons - 1. Vanilla Taffy (or crack as it is known in our house) and 2. Divinity. I have never made it before, but there is a first time for everything. Today the weather is in the mid-forties and tonight should but just a smidge above freezing and it's clear-ish right now -- hopefully that will last so I can make Taffy and burn both of my hands in the process. I have already purchase a new candy thermometer (which I desperately needed since my old one is just about impossible to read) and I'm finally in the mood for molten sugar, vanilla, butter and my silpat.
Yes, it looks like crack.
Ah, homemade candy in the winter - there isn't much better.
Current weather: Inside: 68 degrees, 43% humidity; Outside: 44 degrees, 52% humidity


1 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
3/4 c. light corn syrup
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1 T. butter
2 t. vanilla


Different pulls - more opaque = more air.
Place sugar, corn syrup, water and cream of tartar in sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 266 degrees (I'm not kidding about the temp).
Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla - it will bubble up. Pour onto greased cookie sheet or cookie sheet lined with a silpat mat. When cool enough to handle, but still (really) warm enough to be flexible, pull bits of taffy until opaque. Twist into long cord and let sit until hardened. Once hardened, break into small (1" or so) pieces. Wrap pieces in wax paper and store in a cool, dry place.

Burnt hand - not fun, but worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.