13 January 2010

Make Do .... and books

Use it Up
Wear it Out
Make Do, Or
Do Without


This was posted on Not Dabbling in Normal today and made me think about the fact that I do this for some things, but not for others. I do wear clothes out - I'm not a clothes horse to begin with, but I'll wear something until it's done - largely because I hate shopping for clothes.
I do a good bit of making do ... I try not to buy unitaskers, esp for the kitchen, but I start a lot of things and don't finish them - which is a rather annoying habit... kind of depressing too when you think about it. Part of it is space - I like being downstairs w/the guys not off in my office - but my office is right now a huge mess ... so it's a vicious little cycle.


The hardest part about doing w/out is that I am fascinated with books - esp. of late Georgette Heyer and always - cookbooks.
I've gone though all the local library cookbooks - and all the downtown library preserving books and most of the cookbooks and garden books - so what's  a girl to do but order from Amazon too often.


Just received from Amazon yesterday: In a Cheesemaker's Kitchen: Celebrating  25 Years of Artisanal Cheesemaking from Vermont Butter & Cheese Company (obligatory cookbook). I so want to learn how to make cheese, but just love the idea of a small cheese farm/store (just like Sweet Home Farm - sigh). 


Georgette Heyer books - These Old Shades and An Infamous Army: A Novel of Wellington, Waterloo, Love and War


These Old Shades and An Infamous Army because I had already purchased Devil's Cub and didn't realize it was part of the Alastair trilogy. So now I have the whole trilogy and can read it in order ... hate reading books out of order - it's irksome.







1 comment:

  1. Do have a go at cheesemaking, it's surprisingly easy with rather tasty results. I like the saying.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.