05 March 2010

Firecrackers - AB

In my fit to say I knew of NO carrot recipes for the February Tigress' Can Jam, I forgot one thing... that I did know one recipe for pickled carrots. It wouldn't work for the Can Jam since it's not hot water processed, but I have made it before (in 2002) for the MotH. Here it is... 


Firecrackers
Alton Brown
Ingredients
1/2 pound mini carrots
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 dried chilies

Directions
Place carrots in a spring-top glass jar. Bring the water, sugar, cider vinegar, onion powder, mustard seeds, salt, and chili flakes to a boil in a non-reactive saucepan. Boil for 4 minutes.
Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the carrots, filling the jar to the top. Place the chilies in the jar. Allow the carrots to cool before sealing. Refrigerate for 2 days up to 1 week.


Comment from the Counter: 
* Used crinkle cut carrots - had a noble idea of cutting carrots on mandoline, then reality set in and I just bought them - a little weak to be sure, but the firecrackers got made this way. 
* Used more onion powder (2 tsp) - I don't keep onion powder on hand, so had to purchase, but now I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it ...
* 1 tsp mustard seed - how can that hurt?
* 1 heaping tsp of red pepper flakes - don't we want it hot?
*Instead of two dried chilies (which I can't find at the damn store, except for dried ancho peppers - boring), I used two fresh finger hots (Jwala). 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.