19 April 2010

Documenting Dinner

I read an interesting blog post recently about a chef's irritation with people photographing meals, chef, staff, etc. And I think I'm of the same mind (to a large degree).
I have to admit, I've not yet seen this happen in the gulf coast - no surprising, really. But just the idea that people would take pictures of food. Really? I read blog, so I see it, but ... strange. At least to me. Maybe if it was just so perfect, or artistic or if you're a restaurant critic (we have none of those here - sigh) and I could understand, but a cheeseburger - I mean, really?
I'm also astonished that someone would take photos of someone else w/out asking. What about other customers? The idea of recording the wait staff as he explains the special (My face is all screwed up in a question mark kind of way while I type this as I find it so - just  - wrong). You've really got to be kidding me. I guess I'm just naieve -or from a backwater where weird restaurant behavior isn't a habit. I feel bad for anyone who gets stuck in this awkward situation  - esp. a dinner companion. This article illuminates why some people feel the need to photograph food. But this quote is interesting ..."“In the unconscious mind, food equals love because food is our deepest and earliest connection with our caretaker,” said Kathryn Zerbe, a psychiatrist who specializes in eating disorders and food fixations at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland." Creepy.
Do people really care so much about what they eat or is it all self publication. See, I went to French Laundry and here's the proof. Wonder what the French Laundry thinks of this? What a way to have a special experience ruined.
I do take photos of things I make at home. I'm experimenting after all. I'm not bugging anyone except the MotH and the Boy (possibly) and I feel justified since I did the work and the whole idea of this blog thing is an easy way to keep images and ideas together. Still I will not be photographing my cheeseburger at the Oar House.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.