10 September 2011

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy - Abigail Reynolds

Summary: Elizabeth marries Darcy despite her dislike of him because she's caught in a kiss that she didn't expect at Rosings Park. 


Comments: Boy, I had a hard time with this book. In the end, I liked it a lot and I'm not an easy person to convience, but it took a a little time. The whole idea that Elizabeth Bennett would marry Darcy when she didn't even like him seems such a strange premiss to me, but I guess the social conventions of the time dictated it. The fact that Darcy wouldn't realize that she was marrying him under durress - is he really that blind, but then again, men are dense - I mean even today.  That said, I let those things go and still had one other issue with the story. The miscommunication and mistakes and bad feelings of the characters take the majority of the book. I kept thinking, stop already with the troubles between Darcy and Elizabeth. This is mostly my personality because I like happy endings (and this one was), but it took some work to get there. I'm a sap, I realize it. But there it is.
I enjoyed some of the minor characters quite a bit. Bingley and Georgianna, were delightful. Bingley actually gets angry at Darcy, which is something I never thought I would see. But it was justified and refreshing. I have to admit, I could do without the detailed description of sex, but I don't care for that in any book. Just not my thing. While elements of the story, for example Elizabeth learning to ride, were engaging and believable, I think ultimately I never was able to divest myself of the idea of the marriage being wrong that caused real disquiet while reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.