12 January 2012

Awaken the Highland Warrior - Anita Clenney

Summary: Mis-adventurous historian Bree Kirkland discovers a one hundred fifty year-old warrior buried in a crypt behind her house. But Faelan, the warrior, isn't dead. When this chauvinistic Scottish Warrior awakes, he has no choice but accept the help of this modern-day woman who's rescued him, but she's more fearsome than the demon trying to kill him. If he's not careful, she'll uncover every secret his clan has bled and died to protect. (Source: Anita Clenney website)


Comments: Warriors have a secret - they hunt and destroy demons, keeping humans safe. Having been locked away for one hundred and fifty years does not change that, but the world around Faelan has changed quite a bit and he must learn to adjust to a modern world with airplanes, automobiles, and computers, as well as modern women who have a mind of their own.
What do I like about this story? I like the premiss, the idea of time travel, of course making Faelan s hot property is required, just as making Bree beautiful and intelligent - I especially like the fact that she's an historian. I liked quite a few of the minor characters, Ronan and Orla in particular - for very different reasons - Ronan because he was the most three dimensional of the minor characters and Orla because she was prim and prissy and very annoying - and nothing like her daughter.
What didn't I like? I dislike the conventional heroine who is beautiful and intelligent, but a clutz. It's used too often and does not ring true to me. I also have issues with things that didn't seem to be explained in the text in a couple of late scenes things happpened that were odd enough that I took notice, but were never explained in the end. I also got tired of two things Faelan apologizing all the time and the repeated list of everything that Bree did for Faelan that his should be grateful for... she woke him, feed him, helped him find his family ... etc. You do not have to beat your reader over the head. 

I will certainly read Ms. Clenney's future books, but hope she fixes a few things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.