15 February 2012

Super Bowl - Best Bar Nuts

Best Bar Nuts
11 oz can unsalted assorted nuts
1-2 Tbs fresh rosemary, finely minced
1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 T brown sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbs unsalted butter


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts on cookie sheet and toast in the oven until they are lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes - don't let them burn!
Combine rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, salt and butter in a sauce pan and heat on low until sugar dissolves. While the nuts are still warm, mix with rosemary/butter mixture. Toss thoroughly and spread on cookie sheet to dry.

Additional Ideas:
Add 1 Tbs of fresh lemon zest
Add 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Bench notes: This was from a contest of NYC bars a few years back (don't remember exactly, but I started making these in 2006), and it's still one of my favorites. I think it's the rosemary that really does it for me. This time I used 10.1 oz of Brazil nuts that were a gift at Christmas. They are one of my favorite nuts. I also added something this year that I hadn't before about a 1/2 tsp of sumac. It has a neat lemony/citric kind of taste to it and I've been waiting for something to try it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.