23 March 2011

Mushroom and Watercress Pate

Mushroom & Watercress Pate
It seems I have several recipes (or things I create on auto-pilot) that I've been doing for so long I have no idea where the recipe originally came from. This definitely fits into that category. Let's see, the Boy is almost 18 and I was making this long long before he made the scene - geez I'm old. The Boy, as a young child and still today, will take the pate and make a sandwich and carry it to school with him. Can't say that I blame him really. It's good. The bitterness of the cress, the deep flavor of the mushrooms, the oniony bit, and the creaminess of the cream cheese make this a standard for me. 
Watercress grows in cool running water and is a member of the mustard family. I understand that it grows wild in certain parts of the country, but not here. Watercress, so often ignored, is a wonderful green. I love love love it on an egg salad sandwich too. It's peppery/bitter/something. I don't know, but I know I like it. 


Mushrooms, scallions, watercress
Recipe:
4 oz Watercress, rinsed and dried
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz crimini or white mushrooms, sliced
Scallions, 4-6, sliced or other oniony type thing you like, shallots, perhaps?
Balsamic vinegar
Lime wedges


Heat a saute pan on medium-low heat and add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the scallions until soft, add sliced mushrooms and saute until they release liquid and then begin to dry a bit. Add about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and let it cook out. Add the cress and mix to wilt. Remove from heat. Let veg mix cool a bit. To the bowl of the food processor, add the veg mix and the cream cheese. Blend until throughly mixed. Turn out into ceramic or glass box. Cover and refrigerate. 
Ready to be processed

To serve, slice a baguette and toast lightly in the oven. Top with pate and serve with wedges of lime to squeeze over the toasts. (Lime is not optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.