20 August 2011

Apothecary's Daughter

Summary: Lillian Haswell, brilliant daughter of the local apothecary, yearns for more adventure and experience than life in her father's shop and their small village provides. She also longs to know the truth behind her mother's disappearance, which villagers whisper about
but her father refuses to discuss. Opportunity comes when a distant aunt offers to educate her as a lady in London. Exposed to fashionable society and romance--as well as clues about her mother--Lilly is torn when she is summoned back to her ailing father's bedside. Women are
forbidden to work as apothecaries, so to save the family legacy, Lilly will have to make it appear as if her father is still making all the diagnoses and decisions. But the suspicious eyes of a scholarly physician and a competing apothecary are upon her. As they vie for village prominence, three men also vie for Lilly's heart.


Comments: Written by Julie Klassen, I have no idea why I purchased this - I must have read something somewhere because it was on my kindle. I really enjoyed the story and I learned a good bit about something (apothecaries) that I knew virtually nothing. I liked the the prologue and epilogue were in the first person while the rest of the book is not. The book did stretch a bit at the end being slightly more drawn out than I would have preferred, but the story is very interesting. I enjoyed the Elliots, France, Dr. Graves, and Mr. Shuttleworth - they were all thought through and very believable. Lillian is a lovely heroine, but seems to get more than her share of troubles - almost to the point of exhaustion for the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.