12 January 2011

Spinach and Mushroom Quiche

Finished Quiches
I've been making spinach quiche since roughly 1987 - dear lord am I that old - ugh. Either way, the recipe that originated it has long since disappeared, but the reason I started with it and the reason I probably won't change the filling is - the distinct limitation of eggs. I can't stand the idea of so many eggs in a quiche. I want it to be more dense, and not too eggy. It should be acknowledged that I'm not a fan of eggs in many forms. I can handle eggs salad sandwiches (w/lots of fresh ground black pepper and watercress) probably once a year and occasionally (maybe 3 times per year), I enjoy cooking off some hot breakfast sausage and mixing in some beaten eggs to make a stove top "fritta-ish" thing for breakfast served with toast and grape (or apple) jelly.
This quiche freezes well after baking. All you do is let it thaw in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave oven (just not too long). The one thing I want to do is come up with a better crust.
I've been lazy and used 9" frozen pie crusts and even with blind baking, they are really boring and I can just sort of take it or leave it. I saw a crust that Cook's Country used for their Onion and Bacon tart, that I think I will try, but not on a work night, so I'm using refrigerator pie crusts which if handled correctly can be decent. 


Filling (makes two quiches)
2 - 10oz packages of frozen chopped spinach
12 oz mozzarella, grated (or mixture of any cheeses)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can evaporated milk

Veggies ready for crust


Crusts
2 - refrigerator pie crusts (for 8 - 9" pie plates)

If frozen, defrost pie crusts in refrigerator overnight. Spray pie plate or tart pan with cooking spray. Roll out pie crust into pie plate or tart pan with removable bottom, pat lightly into bottom and crimp any extra for the sides. Spray foil lightly with cooking spray and arrange spray-side down in chilled pie shell. Top with pie weights (or dried beans, or rice - heck even heavy pasta like rigatoni works well). Bake until surface (esp. the center) of dough dry, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove foil/weights and bake until crust just begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. Make filling. Thaw spinach and drain very well. Beat eggs, mix with milk and cheese. Add spinach to cheese mixture. Add mixture to cooled crust and bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Modifications: To add some different flavors, add sliced and sauteed mushrooms and scallions to the spinach mixture. Make sure the veg are sauteed until there is no water left in the pan. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar while cooking down. Serve with a light salad.
Sliced Spinach & Mushroom Quiche

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.