22 January 2011

I don't like ice cream, but ... Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Comparison

I'm not a huge fan of ice cream. Lots of brands have too much weird stuff in them, and that's probably some of the "good" stuff - scary but true. I like to keep things simple, so my limited list of cold treats tends to looks something like this ... lime sherbet, chocolate ice cream, butter pecan ice cream, and dulce de leche ice cream. Simple girl = Simple tastes. So my thoughts on the following comparison is based on simple ingredients which hopefully lead to a rich, indulgent, creamy ice cream. I really don't think that's too much to ask. I include nutritional info, not because I care, but it is interesting to compare the two and note if that does make any difference - especially calories from fat because to me fat equals flavor. I'd love to be all Alton Brown-like and understand why that is, but I don't care that much - I just enjoy it.


Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche ice cream

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1/2 Cup (106g)
Calories: 290
Calories from Fat: 150

Ingredients: Cream, Skim Milk, Sugar, Caramel Swirl (Sweetened Condensed Milk [Sugar, Milk, Water], Sugar, Water, Corn Syrup, Coconut Oil, Pectin, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Baking Soda, Natural Flavor), Sweetened Condensed Milk (Sugar, Milk, Water), Egg Yolks, Corn Syrup, Baking Soda, Salt, Natural Flavor.



Ben & Jerry's Dulce Delish
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1/2 Cup (105g)
Calories: 240
Calories from Fat: 110

Ingredients: Cream, Skim Milk, Water, Liquid Sugar (Sugar, Water), Milk, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Butter (Cream, Salt), Milk Fat, Caramelized Sugar Syrup, Pectin, Guar Gum, Sodium Bicarbonate, Vanilla Extract, Soy Lecthin, Carrageenan, Salt, Lactase.


Comments: Why is it that I feel I have to look up so many of these ingredients to figure out what the hell they are? 
Okay - here are initial impressions - I liked the Haagen Dazs ice cream part, but liked the Ben & Jerry's Dulce de Leche swirl best.  That said, the more I tried both of these over several days, the more I was won over by Ben & Jerry's Dulce Delish. I have to say at first I thought the B&J's Dulce Delish was too over powering in the ice cream department, though it was always my front runner in the swirl department - rich, decadent and wonderful - would love to just eat that with a spoon. But over time, I realized that the ice cream and dulce de leche swirl had to be in balance. Haagen Dazs just lacked enough force in either area to make it work and lacked too much DeL swirl - although this was my favorite until I tried the B&J Dulce Delish. My question is what are the ingredients that I've not heard of have to do w/the fact that I like ice cream so much? And what does the fat have to do with it... someone needs to explain it to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.