07 April 2011

Guinness Brownies

Finished
We were talking about brownies at work the other day and I mentioned my Guinness Brownies. The Boy loves these and the MotH enjoys them as well, I think. They are based on Grace Neill's Chocolate and Guinness Brownies (from The New Irish Table), but I've changed the chocolate ratio and the amount of Guinness. I don't care much for chocolate, so I really make these for others to enjoy, but I will always have at least one. The are rich and chocolate flavored without being super sweet, which we all enjoy. Will you like them if you don't like Guinness, um, yes. I, on the other hand, happen to think that Guinness is one of the most sublime things on this lovely little planet. That, I'm sure, stems from the fact that I started drinking beer in England and had many (many) Guinness drafts at many (many) pubs across the Midlands and in London. They always say, "the alcohol cooks out," and in this case that is true (as opposed to rum cake - yuck), so no worries there. Just a rich, chocolate, coffee-ish, flavor and and excellent smooth texture for a simple (really) brownie.
Notes: there are a few sips of Guinness more than a cup in a bottle - enjoy.
Also, based on today, it is not easy to sift anything with the windows
My favorite!
open and the winds blowing. I'm covered in cocoa. ugh.


Flour and chocolate - sigh.
Here 'tis:
4 eggs
3/4 cup superfine sugar (take the same amount of granulated sugar and whir it up in the food processor, or not as you prefer)
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
4 oz. semisweet chocolate
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup Guinness Extra Stout (not Guinness draught - my preference anyway)


Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a mixer, blend eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. In a medium sauce over low heat, melt chocolates and butter (you can chop if you want, but it pretty much melts all the same anyway) stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and add to egg mixture. Mixing to combine.
Sift flour and cocoa together and mix into chocolate mixture. Whisk in Guinness a little at a time, until incorporated. Pour into prepared 8" x 8" pan (coat w/cooking spray or butter, either works). Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center almost clean (key word there, almost). Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
You can dust with confectioners' sugar, but I usually prefer not to. Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say if you must.

Don't be rude.